October 11, 2007

Camaro or Challenger? Which Would You Choose?

By Rob

Editor-in-Chief

So the new Challenger comes out in 117 days (but who’s counting?) and the new Camaro will follow in 2009. Both, obviously, are fricken’ awesome. Having seen the concepts up close and personal, my feeling is that the Camaro has better proportions–the Challenger looks kind of porky (though in recent spy shots suggest they are slimming it down a bit in front). I’m sure there won’t be a lack of available horsepower with either car, and I suspect they will be priced somewhat closely. So… which would you rather have?

Camao Challenger

Comments

Chris Vogel
Sep 26, 2008 at 4:11 pm

All the challenger is is a 300/Magnum/Charger with a new body… it is the exact same platform. Therefore fat as a pig, weighing 4,120 lbs… Are you serious? this car has 425hp and only runs a low 5 0-60.. A 300hp mustang gt can do that… honestly I think that Dodge cut corners to get this released.. Chevy, on the other hand, has a whole new platform built for the Camaro… I have seen that it should weigh less than 3,800 lbs.. still heavy but reasonable.
I do agree that the grill is ugly though. but it is still a mean looking car. All that aside it will definatly out perform the Challenger… hell the G8 does that… And I am in no way baised to either car. I havent sworn oath to mopar, ford, or chevy.. I just no a good car when I see one….

Camaro > Challenger any day of the weak…

jimmy
Jul 26, 2008 at 1:48 am

i dont know the challenger looks way cooler in my opinion but from what ive read the challenger srt8 has 425 hp and the camaro is coming out with a supercharged pushing 550 hp im torn between horsepower and looks, also a hemi is still a hemi.

Jake Markiewicz
Apr 28, 2008 at 5:11 pm

I mean the Challenger is nice but I would rather have the Chevy Camaro. It looks a lot more “muscular” than the challenger. The Challenger also looks a little cheap. well not really cheap but, thin. In other words the Camaro looks more solid then the Challenger.

Jeremy
Feb 15, 2008 at 9:18 pm

For everyone who is misinformed on the camaro check out camaro5.com.
The new camaro is not supposed to look like the old camaro just has some styling cues.The ls1,ls2,and ls6 are all discontinued the newer engines are L76,Ls3,Ls8,and Ls9 not sure how long the Ls7 will be in production. With the exeption of the L76 all have at least 430hp(Ls3) up to 650hp with the Ls9 which is supercharged. There have also been talks of new engines possibly with direct injection and more. There are also spy photos of the new camaro on this website, and before anyone says anything the headlights on the spy shots are temporary.

I would choose the camaro only because I am a chevy fan, but the challenger is a great looking car, and if I am not satisfied with the camaro end product I will definitely buy a challenger.

TRAVIS FORD
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:13 pm

I AGREE WITH BEN 100%. MOPAR OR NO CAR !!!

TRAVIS FORD
Oct 16, 2007 at 6:10 pm

I WOULD MOST DEFINTLY CHOOSE THE ’08 DODGE CHALLENGER.
WHY , CAUSE I’M A HUGE FAN OF OF DODGE’S, I OWN A DODGE MYSELF.

BENZMAN
Oct 15, 2007 at 7:44 pm

Both sucksss

Anonymous
Oct 15, 2007 at 7:36 pm

Had the new Challenger come with some more nostalgic features such as the use of a shaker hood scoop, then maybe I’d choose it since I like the original Challenger better than the original Camaro. However, the Camaro clearly looks beefier with a lot more characteristics that rival it’s forty-year old cousin. The aggressive front end is beautiful and the car has gorgeous lines. The challenger lacks the sharp curvy lines that the camaro has. But all said and done, you’d still see me in a mustang before either of these cars!

corpitos
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:28 pm

It’s all about da challenger!

Brandon D.
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:19 pm

I’d definately pick the challenger, the camaro’s nice but hate the grill. To all the people that say the new hemi is not a real hemi, and chrysler is only playing on the name… what makes an engine a hemi is a hemispherical combustion chamber, which the modern hemi does have(just look at the spark plug placement)..The modern hemi’s combustion chamber is just a little flatter and less bowl shaped than the 60′s hemi, the modern hemi is smaller(5.7&6.1 liters) as opposed to the 60′s version(7.0 liters), but all in all it is a real hemi engine, and actually more reliable.

Jeremy
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:11 pm

the challenger,for odvious reasons, plus that way you dont have to worry about it transforming(chev looks like a gay robot)

louis
Oct 15, 2007 at 6:10 pm

The camaro that everybody seen is not the actual one ,remember that.
Nobody has seen the actual production version yet. I do belive that if the dodge challenger does come out the way it looks now then we’ll all know which will be the better looking of the two huuuunuuum the camaro freaks

Anthony J
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Gotta go with the Chevy

Ben Dover
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:27 pm

the chevy..most def..

Rickey
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:04 pm

the camaro i rather have cuz i want my gurl to ride wit me in it in Ca on the highway hittin 200

Will
Oct 15, 2007 at 4:49 pm

I’d definately go with the Challenger; it’s just so much better in so many ways. Weren’t the first three sold for charity? Plus, it actually looks like it’s predecessors..I have no idea where they got the design for the new Camaro. So, I choose Challenger.

Anonymous
Oct 15, 2007 at 4:45 pm

Im gone be the first person in that brand new dodge thang in miluakee

Chris
Oct 15, 2007 at 4:21 pm

For me the choice comes down to what each car costs and I believe many people could agree to that!

Anonymous
Oct 15, 2007 at 3:39 pm

PINCHE CARS CHAFOS

Casey
Oct 15, 2007 at 3:02 pm

Yo Its dat Camaro all tha way no doubt

Kevin
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:39 am

I like the looks of the Challenger a lot better and I am a Chevy guy. The camaro is nice, but the front end is ugly and it doesn’t really look anything close to any of it’s predecesors unlike the new Mustang or the Chanllenger. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a new challenger where as I would wait to see what kind of body kits they are going to make for the new camaro because that front end is but ugly and I not that fond of the rear end as well. 5 stars for the new challenger and big praise for Dodge’s efforts where as the designers for GM on this project should all be hanging from the gallows. I saw a 16 year old kid draw a better concept for the new camaro then what GM came up with. I love camaro’s but this one is a big dissapointment. I hate to admit it, but I would rather own a new Mustang than one of the new camaro’s. I hope it’s back to the drawing board for GM, otherwise they are going to lose a lot of devoted camaro fans.

Britney
Oct 15, 2007 at 5:03 am

most def the camaro!!!

craig
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:51 am

CHALLENGER!!! it resembles the 70/71 models. the camaro is just ugly as hell,and it doesnt resemble any of the older versions

SITNG
Oct 15, 2007 at 2:35 am

both are SUCKS

Joe
Oct 15, 2007 at 1:44 am

It’s hard to say, lets see if the camaro is avaliable with a standard transmission unlike the G8

speedcanhurt
Oct 15, 2007 at 1:27 am

I agree with Ben. I’d take a Hemi over a chevy V8 any day, even if I hated the rest of the car. There is no way the chevrolet could stand up to the challenger.

Ben
Oct 15, 2007 at 12:16 am

MOPAR OR NO CAR!!! Challenger 6.1L Hemi R/T. The only way chevy stands a chance is if they drop that 572 under every hood they’ve got and we all know it. Atleast the Dodge looks like a Dodge.

Nivek
Oct 14, 2007 at 11:33 pm

Can I have both?

Anonymous
Oct 14, 2007 at 9:54 pm

im a slut i do it for a dollars

Anonymous
Oct 14, 2007 at 9:53 pm

mi culo

Chris
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:46 pm

It is a hard choice let’s say 2009 Nissan GTR lol that twin turbo v6 is gonna be hot.

But all joking aside I would probably go with the Challenger. The Camaro never appealed to me but I did like the Vettes. But also the new Shelby Gt is sexy. But If I were to choose the Camaro I would want the topless one.

Anonymous
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:04 pm

I’d take the Challenger for sure! Unrelated to the question though, I think the Challenger looks more like the ’71 model than the ’70.

Anonymous
Oct 14, 2007 at 8:02 pm

I definitely choose the Challenger. I just wish they’d make a real stripped-down Super Bee/Road Runner-level cheap kind of model, save on the unnecessary electronics and other options that add weight. I also wish they’d just take the ‘Hemi’ name off of an engine without hemispherical combustion chambers..

Anonymous
Oct 14, 2007 at 7:02 pm

love gm but id have to say CHALLENGER

kirz
Oct 14, 2007 at 6:09 pm

Challenger.

Kelvin
Oct 14, 2007 at 5:56 pm

Camaro, I like both but the camaro will be my pic, I dont think no “Hemi” will concern GM, especially if they build it right, In case you dont know chevy makes the LS1, LS2, LS6, and a LSX, ok so wee all know what to expect out of the LS1 & LS2 so just imagine if they put a LS6, or LSX in one, HERE IS OUR ANSWER TO THE MUSTANG FORD. DODGE & FORD has some big shoes to fill!!!!

Mishad
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:56 pm

CHALLENGER forever! Best of Best! Tru modern muscle car $)

Big_Block454
Oct 14, 2007 at 2:20 pm

I would choose the Camaro. I have been anticipating its return since they stopped production. Not to take anything away from the new Challenger, it is done very nicely, but I can’t wait for the Camaro. If I had the choice I would take both. :)

Michael
Oct 14, 2007 at 12:30 pm

Ew. Definitely the Camaro. That Challenger is really… I dunno, I don’t like it.

Justin Hammerle
Oct 14, 2007 at 12:21 pm

I would take the Challenger, They did such a nice job on everything. but than again I would take a Camaro to.

ar_moj
Oct 14, 2007 at 11:47 am

i’d pick bumblebee if it will look like the concept..but i prefer a hemi for it..

Antonio Clegg
Oct 14, 2007 at 5:00 am

challenger,challenger,challenger,challenger then a camaro!

Cullen
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:42 am

The Challenger would be my choice. It was done up very well. The Camaro will be over priced and is already letting people down with never ending hype.

DRE
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:35 am

The challenger all the way. just by lookin at the concept it was ready 4 production design wise. Its hard 2 take a car from concept 2 production the challenger looks 95% the same from concept. The camaro on the other hand will not look nothin like the concept model its design is to radical 4 production. But when it does come out all that hype it had will go away because its not gonna look the same. mopar all the way just because it looks like the concept.

Jason Brumple
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:26 am

Umm… I cant decide.

CRIP TX
Oct 14, 2007 at 4:08 am

THE CAMARO IS BETTER AND IT WILL ALWAYS BE. CHEVY IS BETTER THAN DODGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt
Oct 14, 2007 at 2:40 am

I have to say the camaro just because I have loved the camaro since I was a little kid. So definatly the camaro!

eric
Oct 14, 2007 at 2:28 am

Challenger!!!!! Mopar or now car! I am happy that Chevy FINALLY got a new caramo style, but it still won’t be able to compete with that hunk of mopar muscle!

Mike
Oct 14, 2007 at 1:39 am

I vote for the Camaro, since I was raised GM. But it’s definately exciting to see Dodge getting back into this. Unless you count the Viper for the rich folk out there. I personally think Ford will have to bump up the Mustang’s power! It’s good to see a demand for these cars, rather than trucks and suvs!

Alex
Oct 14, 2007 at 1:02 am

Sorry, I meant to say CHALLENGER!!

Alex
Oct 14, 2007 at 1:00 am

Goin for the CHARGER! Actually looks like the original Chargers did, and it’s been ages since the Charger name has been out there, whereas the Camaro has only been gone for a few years. Although I love the dash and engine in the Camaro, the Charger is mean and sexy all around! Charger gets my vote!

Lyrical_maniac
Oct 14, 2007 at 12:43 am

Camaro, no doubt. GM has been dominant in the muscle car industry with the introduction with the new Corvette Z06 and it’s 500+ hp and impresive 0-60 time 3.8 secs continuously. I’m sure they will continue their domination with the Camaro.

notorious
Oct 13, 2007 at 10:27 pm

CAMARO!! CAMARO!! CAMARO!!! I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS CAR SINCE 2002! ITS GOING TO BE OFF THE HOOK WITH THE NEW 6.0 AND GM HAS TO BRING BACK THE ZL1!! ALL ALUMINUM 500+ HORSEPOWER!! MUSTANG WHO??

Chevrolet Man
Oct 13, 2007 at 9:06 pm

Dont get me wrong; I love the look of the charger but Camaro runs thick thru my veins. On what the companies have released- I would have to say a Camaro SS or Z28 would be preferable over an R/T.

Jonny Bravo
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:47 pm

Preferably the Camaro, but I love ‘em both!

Kim
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:45 pm

Definately the CHALLENGER!!! If cash flow allows I’m going to get one!!

Tiffany
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:43 pm

CHALLENGER CHALLENGER CHALLENGER!!!!!Cant wait til theyre out

Veronika
Oct 13, 2007 at 8:29 pm

Camaro all the way.. the challenger looks too bland.

Ryan
Oct 13, 2007 at 7:57 pm

I can’t wait to see these two cars go at it against the Mustang. Would love to see a flat out indurance race with the 3 in a last car running race!

Mark (dgaf88)
Oct 13, 2007 at 6:42 pm

If I had the cash for either, I’d get a white Challenger ala Kowalksi without a doubt in my mind, I don’t care if it breaks down rolling out of the dealership, because I definitely wouldn’t drive either every day. Buy it, feel out the kinks and modify it. I’m Mopar all the way, but I’m not gonna rag on the Camaro, us American guys gotta stick together, petty mopar vs chevy vs ford squabbles aside.

Colin
Oct 13, 2007 at 6:25 pm

I absolutley love the Challenger. My pops is in love with it too, the camero is nice but not as cool as the challenger. Im bout to wait for the srt challenger =]]]]

pep
Oct 13, 2007 at 5:33 pm

Love challenger

Justin LeBlanc
Oct 13, 2007 at 5:03 pm

Its good to see the that GM and Mopar have created some real winners. I’m always going to be a GM man but you can’t beat the classic look of the Mopar. The way I look at it is anything with a big hoursepower V8, dual Exhaust and a standard trany will always be better than a little four banger.

G2
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:44 pm

While both concepts provide myriad polarizing responses, my personal choice is the New Camaro. It’s “Bowtie or No ride” in this instance. No doubt, both the Challenger and Camaro convertible concepts come in my favorite hue,Orange, the proportions,interior,power mill,stance,and yes personality evident on the Camaro far outweigh those on the Challenger!. One looks as though it should be immediately cast in the next “Dukes Of Hazzard” TNN show and the other the next “Batman” sequel. I always did like the “Dark Knight!”

Michael
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:40 pm

CAMARO all the way!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Oct 13, 2007 at 4:19 pm

like the way the camaro looks more and ima take chevy over anything but gotta go challenger

Nate
Oct 13, 2007 at 3:32 pm

since im a mopar and ford guy, i’d get the challenger.

reality boy
Oct 13, 2007 at 3:28 pm

PHA+aGV5ISBkb260dCBmb3JnZXQgdGhlIHJlYWx5IG11c2xjZSBjYXIgU0hFTEJZIEdUNTAwIGFsbCBsZWdlbmQuIGFueSBjdWVzdGlvbj88L3A+

Phil
Oct 13, 2007 at 3:10 pm

challenger without a doubt!

Tyler
Oct 13, 2007 at 2:40 pm

LOL amen CB to the hon-duh guy and being a Chevy guy. Since I have already told my girlfriend that after we get out of collage I’m going to go order a Camaro the way I want it I’m gonna half to say camaro.

cb
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:50 pm

I dont see Honda as being a part of the question asked, so why would some of you people waste the time mentioning Honda? Not to mention admitting that you drive one! I am a Chevy person so I will go with the Camaro but thats not saying the Challenger is not a bad looking ride.

Gerkn
Oct 13, 2007 at 11:08 am

Both of these cars are disgusting! Whats happening to modern cars?! They all look like trucks or jelly-beans!! and are hard to tell apart from one another because they’re all disgusting!! I say buy one of each, then torch them and see which one burns faster.

gary
Oct 13, 2007 at 10:47 am

i like the camaro but im a dodge fan not to much on to read about the camaro as the challenger they are just alike almost

haley
Oct 13, 2007 at 5:00 am

Hondas 4 lyfe
Oct 12, 2007 5:42:47 PM

I pick the honda. It will out last these cars period. lol.
Nice try gm and mopar.

HONDA WASNT A CHOICE IN THE FIRST PLACE BECAUSE THEY SUCK TO BAD

Jason
Oct 13, 2007 at 2:01 am

Gotta say Camaro all the way. I’m saving the pennies right now. Much respect to the Challenger, But CAMARO is my heart !

Miguel
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:50 am

camaro no doubt

Rick
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:48 am

Challenger baby

Hondas 4 lyfe
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:42 am

I pick the honda. It will out last these cars period. lol.
Nice try gm and mopar.

Ryan
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:36 am

Well just like any other Mopar product the tranny will go the first time you stomp on it so Camaro!

Chris
Oct 13, 2007 at 12:03 am

Challenger all the way without a doubt!!!

Steven Johnson
Oct 12, 2007 at 11:49 pm

Challenger all the way

david
Oct 12, 2007 at 10:53 pm

el camaro of course its the shit man!!!!!!!

Michelle
Oct 12, 2007 at 9:47 pm

I’ll be waiting for the SS version of the Camaro.

Randal
Oct 12, 2007 at 9:46 pm

I grew up around Chevy’s so I am going with the Camaro. Although the Challenger isn’t bad looking for being a dodge.

Michael
Oct 12, 2007 at 9:44 pm

The Challenger

Jason
Oct 12, 2007 at 9:22 pm

Challenger!!!

John Polan
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:54 pm

the camaro is one fly looking ride but i would wait a year after it comes out for the Super Sport (SS)

Matt
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:50 pm

Mopar or No Car!!!!!!!

t-fizzle
Oct 12, 2007 at 8:36 pm

i hafe to go with camaro i have a 2002 and i love it…. camaro all the way

Chris
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Camaro…first thing would be an aftermarket grille.

Jim
Oct 12, 2007 at 4:57 am

Camaro no doubt. I mean look at it. Dont get me wrong, I love the Challenger, but there is just something special with the Camaro

Adam
Oct 12, 2007 at 3:29 am

Cant I have both, oh wait I dont have any $$! I guess Ill just settle for the Challenger R/T for now

cknarf
Oct 12, 2007 at 2:39 am

challenger. the camaro is nice but i think that they really screwed up the grille.

Oct 12, 2007 at 2:33 am

I, um… will wait for the Firebird.

Bobby
Oct 12, 2007 at 1:34 am

I love both cars, but I’ll take the Mopar in Plum Crazy Purple!

Dboy23
Oct 11, 2007 at 11:54 pm

How about the new Trans Am is gonna rock um all lol.

Steve
Oct 11, 2007 at 11:32 pm

First blush? Camaro! But if the Challenger actually came with a HEMI and not just the Hemi name then tough choice. But Camaro definitely! ‘Nuff said.

retroman
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:27 pm

You can’t beat a hemi, plus that Sublime paint would make it look even better.

Racedriven
Oct 11, 2007 at 9:20 pm

The Chevrolet Camaro hands-down, of course if you asked Camaro, Challenger or Mustang which one would you choose? well that answer would change to the Mustang considering I like the look of a Mustang. I wouldn’t might testing out the Camaro vs. the Mustang, which is better… who knows.

Turner
Oct 11, 2007 at 7:07 pm

probly camaro

Oafman
Oct 11, 2007 at 6:35 pm

When I heard that the Challenger was coming back my only comment was “I’ll take one in Lime.” (or Plum Crazy if the Lime is out of stock in my area)

Sean C.
Oct 11, 2007 at 6:12 pm

Gotta go with the Challenger… Just a HOT design. The GM looks good to, but the Challenger just “does it” for me.

haley
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:35 pm

Challenger
6.1 Hemi
500 Horsepower
6 Speed Tranny
Need I Say More?

ken is right go woth the challenger

Mitch
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:24 pm

Depends on the engine choices that are actually available. Lots of talk about what might be there, but where’s the beef? Convertible Camaro is probably my choice, with biggest engine available and 6 speed.

Andrew
Oct 11, 2007 at 4:06 pm

CAMARO!!!

NeilG
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:58 pm

I’d say the Challenger, I gotta agree with Ken. hahah well put.

Rob
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:50 pm

I don’t know, Jake. I’m a Mopar guy and am pretty tempted by the Camaro.

Chris
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:20 pm

challenger, mos def.

camarossowner01
Oct 11, 2007 at 3:13 pm

The Challenger’s style is incredible, but I have to go with the Camaro on this one.The Camaro will have around the same horsepower and get more mpg. Dodge is playing too much on the old HEMI name and its not even true to the original design. When GM brought us the LS based motor series they demonstrated that you do not need a big block to make enormous power. The LS3 motor that is going to be in the new Camaro is a beast and very easily modified. Look for a 500+ hp Camaro(SS?)to make a debut in 2009. Hopefully GM takes it a bit further and puts the new Corvette ZR1′s motor in a Camaro and calls it the ZL1. =)

Jake
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:47 pm

I don’t think this is a question of which you prefer, so much as it is “Are you a Chevy guy or a Mopar guy?”

That said, naturally I’d go with the Camaro :D

Anonymous
Oct 11, 2007 at 2:07 pm

No doubts the challenger. The hemi was big, the cars were big. Too flawed to stay real as the origin. Muscle car builders and mechanics liked them. Todays benefits with the similar raw power- it has got be a winner. Camaro is nice too… I still go with the challenger. 425hp hemi n/a seems about right. LOL.

Tom
Oct 11, 2007 at 1:48 pm

The challenger. First off, it just looks awsome were I find the camaro just doesn’t have that classic mean machine look the original its imitating has. Plus the challenger is sitting on a shortened platform of the Charger and 300 which came from the last generation Mercedes E class, so its safe and solid. The challenger comes standard with the 5.7 Hemi, the Camaro starts with the 3.6 V6, so theres no need to convince the wife to get anything but the base challenger. Either way the Camaro’s V6 blows the doors off the mustang’s disgrasful underpowered, unreving, noisy truck motor of a V6. That new boss motor Ford is making better be good becuase the 5.7, 6.1 and 6.0, 7.0 from the Challenger and Camaro will blow the doors off Ford’s ancient 4.6. Gotta love the over head cams though.

Evan
Oct 11, 2007 at 1:36 pm

Camaro.

The Dodge is cool and all but, it’s the company that’s known for their Minivans. Sorry Camaro get’s my vote!

Ken
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:57 pm

Challenger
6.1 Hemi
500 Horsepower
6 Speed Tranny
Need I Say More?

brian
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:30 pm

The camaro becouse i have always like them i have a 71 Z28 and a 72 but i would like to have the challenger to becouse i know they were bad cars back in the day it’s a hard one!

Highspeedhijinks
Oct 11, 2007 at 12:18 pm

As sad as this is. I’d need to see them both in action to really make this decision. Im waiting for the MotorTrend Shelby Mustang, Camaro SS, and Challenger R/T head to head comparison. So I’ve got oh.. 2 years of waiting before Im sold on any of them.

Brandon