February 1, 2008

Rednecks, Mullets and the El Camino

By Mike

AKA Mr. Angry

Ok fine… make fun of me, but aside from liking old 60s vans I have another automotive secret. I LOVE THE EL CAMINO! That’s right, I said it and I mean it. Long regarded as the mullet of the muscle car world, the El Camino is a true bastard child of automotive engineering–not a truck and not a car. Mention them at any high brow function and your stock as an upstanding citizen automatically gets flushed down the toilet. Visions of toothless rednecks and the sounds of dueling banjos fill the room, and women everywhere take cover. Just look at some of the names given to the good old El over the years: Caballero, Cho Cho Custom and Conquista–all priceless as far as I’m concerned. They came with big blocks, small blocks, sixes and were made for thirty plus years–not a bad run. Only when SUVs and mid-size pick-ups come into play did the Elky finally meet it’s demize, and oh what a sad day that was. But I say, rock out with your mullet out. Business in the front AND PARTY IN THE BACK!

1969 El Camino

Comments

Taina
Jun 20, 2008 at 3:34 am

My husband just fell in love with (she really is gorgeous!) and bought a 1976 El Camino this weekend (SS 350). Since we live in California and the car is from Washington he’s having some heartburn over the fact that he will have to have work done so that the car is able to pass California’s smog emission laws in order to register it. The car is completely stock and in EXCELLENT condition–any ideas as to what this work might involve and a ballpark figure of how much getting work like this done MIGHT or should cost us? Thanks!!

Andy Parkison
Feb 25, 2008 at 10:12 pm

My Grandfather bought it for my Dad in 1969 off the showroom floor and when i turned 18 in ’96 my father pasted her on to me. Re-painted from “Poo Brown” to “Pearl White” and put 256″ tire made her beautiful.

Now, my father and i are rebuilding her now. We have all stipped down to the ground. Frames, rear-end, upper & lower control arms are powder coated and ready to bolt on. Were using ALOT of the same parts and bolts that had 30 years of grime on’em. I’ve spent hours blasting parts clean and having a blast every step. Were going all out. Still have some decisions to make about a motor. Stepping up from the 350 i think.

Wish us luck on our project.
Andy

Corey (aka sasktrini)
Feb 3, 2008 at 9:50 pm

well said, Mike!

Andy
Feb 3, 2008 at 5:38 pm

I love my Elco, Elkie, whatever names were given to my beloved! The El camino was dream car since I was little. I remember asking my mom, dad, grandfather all the time “what are those cars called that are half truck half car?”
In fact, I could have gotten my hands on a 1960(!) Ford Ranchero with a 3 on the tree for my 16th birthday from my grandfather, but it was sold soon after we checked it out. bummer.
Snubbing at a high class event? Not so. I tell people that I have one, I get “that” look. but when they go out and check it out, they reverse their initial opinion. I guess everyone pictures the rusted out Elco with different colors, mainly in the “baby-poop brown” color scheme.
I love my 5th gen! while it’s not a SS 396, my SS 350 still gets my love even though it’s older than me. Driving one in the snow is another story. Usually it involves about 300 pounds of sandbags to catch traction even with number one rated all season tires on it.

Ted
Feb 3, 2008 at 1:34 am

Finding a ride is like finding a girlfriend, except without the whole dating thing BUT you end up taking care of both and buying nice gifts. In fact, if you have a girlfriend she verywell may get jealous at the car, but I’ll digress.
There’s someone out there for everyone, and for El Caminos and similar, there’s someone out there for them, too.

Adam
Feb 2, 2008 at 1:19 am

Mr. Angry, you are not alone in El Camino Love! I tried to give my left nut for a 69 SS a few years ago, but the bank would not consider my jewel colateral. Oh well, someday maybe!

Highspeedhijinks
Feb 1, 2008 at 7:26 pm

If you had a big block I’d say party in the front and business in the back (when your hauling something like 1 bag of mulch) haha. I tell ya Mr.Angry the Pontiac G8-ST is coming out soon enough, you might want to take one for a test drive so you can get that warm fuzzy feeling you have for these mullet machines all over again.