June 12, 2008

Harry's U-Pull-It: The Mother Of All Junkyards

By Jen Dunnaway

Editor

If what you’re into is junk cars as far as the eye can see, Harry’s U-Pull-It in Hazleton, PA is the place you need to go. It’s the biggest self-serve junkyard in the world, and it’s legendary among car people in the Northeast. When I lived in upstate New York, I’d try to make the Harry’s pilgrimmage at least once or twice a year, and it was always worth it. This time around, with half a day to kill following the Carlisle All-Ford Nationals, I decided to take a trip up to Harry’s to make sure my favorite junkyard was still the heaven I remembered it to be. And frankly, things have changed a little. See more…

The cars I’m generally looking for in a junkyard have dried up in recent years—where I used to be able to count on there being at least a half a dozen AMC Eagles, and usually closer to ten, this time there was only one AMC in the whole yard—this Concord sedan. The bottom line is, if you’re looking for parts for 90′s cars, you’re going to be able to build anything you want. Domestic predominates here, with huge sections dedicated to Ford, GM, and Mopar, but only a "Mixed Foreign" section, also huge, for all imports. 80′s and older stuff is still present, though sparser than it once was. And the real dinosaur-bones vintage tin is piled up in a massive graveyard beyond the electric fence, where Harry’s allows it to rust in peace—check out the whole row of classic ambulances! The verdict: Harry’s is still huge, and still very much worth the trip, but the crusher’s been busy and it’s not the Harry’s of five years ago.

Comments

netbsd
Aug 29, 2008 at 5:12 am

harry’s is noting compaird to EZ-Pull in new ringgold PA. half the price and twice the size. harry’s can suck my bawls in hazleton PA with itas cocky check outs and high prices

Chops
Jul 4, 2008 at 4:28 am

OMG, I love harry’s. I used to go to PSU in Hazleton, Im at state college now, and my friends would go there to kill time. $2 to get in all day and we would just futts around. They never carry my car though, which sucks, but they do have previas every now and then. I always ask them about the cars behind the electric fence, but never get anything. I would really love to get one of the old ambulances they have. One time my friends and I wandered into the restricted area, blocked off with the wall of cars, lol, they have some sweet old cars in there, Im guessing they hold them for friends. I saw an old Dart and a really cool late 50′s Chevy tow truck. Sucks now though, my home is 2 hours away and I really need to go there, lol.

Keith
Jun 16, 2008 at 11:14 pm

Harry’s sucks, its 20 minutes from where I live and I’ve been there a few times, but there’s nothing good. everything is newer, which is alright when you need a part for a newer car, but it’s not a junkyard to look at. My favorite is Bonners, about 15 minutes from harry’s. He’s got most of the 90′s stuff on piles to get crushed because they’re no good anymore, but a lot of 30′s and up stuff. My dad even found my parent’s old New Yorker. that was pretty cool because they got sold that before I was born and I heard stories about it. But, yeah Harry’s is no good if you need a part for anything older than 10 years.

Eric
Jun 15, 2008 at 3:06 pm

That reminds me of three yards down around Atlanta, GA, but closer to me!

chryslerdaytona
Jun 13, 2008 at 8:37 pm

i would take that datsun sitting in the grass and maybe the rampage. and wow i have to go there sometime.

Jun 13, 2008 at 2:37 am

Old cars can’t last forever in a junkyard. The more they sit, the faster they deteriorate. The ’60s and ’70s stuff will go the way of the ’40s and ’50s stuff that is becoming extremely rare to see in yards.
I never was one to be fascinated in junkyards. When I’m there it’s like a military sortee, strictly business, on a mission. Under those circumstances I’m focused on getting what I need in my hands so I can get back home and do the repair.

Tony
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:57 pm

I absolutly love looking at cars in junkyards. Not a fan of seeing the modern day cars-there no fun to look at, but seeing the old tin is fascinating. If you have more photos of the ‘oldies’ in the yard beyond the fensce, please post. There is a junkyard about 10minutes from my house here on the Gold Coast. The yard itself has been there for decades but no longer does business. The fella who owns the place doesn’t let anyone walk through the yard but the cars in their are awesome. 50s, 60s, 70s Aussie classics and I persume some American muscle aswell, all just sitting there, rotting away. It’s sad to see in all honesty. It has around 6000 cars there apparently. Anyway it was a great read Jen, and if you have pics of the old tin, please post. Cheers

Eric
Jun 12, 2008 at 8:55 pm

The half burnt FORD TAURUS was my FAV!