August 2, 2008

The Ultimate 3rd-Gen Camaro

By Jen Dunnaway

Editor

If you’re gonna run a junk IROC Camaro, you might as well go the whole hog. Tim pulls out all the stops on his ride, bringing to bear all the aftermarket touches that earned the IROC its trailer-park reputation in the first place. He’s got the Centerline wheels that everyone wanted back in the 80′s, wrapped in no-name-brand white-letter tires that jut out past the fenders in the rear. It’s jacked up on too-high air shocks, it’s got the plastic-louvered rear window, and it polishes off the look with both rust scabs and unfinished bodywork. Oh, and he’s totally running nitrous through that stock 305! I’m not being sarcastic at all when I say I love this ride. It’s like a modern rat rod, but without the pretentiousness. If you saw this junkyard gem gunning it through your neighborhood, blasting the Whitesnake, can you honestly say you wouldn’t be tempted to give it the thumbs-up? Check out Tim’s ride page for more!

Comments

Mike
Aug 10, 2008 at 5:46 pm

1. Mullet on driver
2. “Appetite for destruction” in tapedeck
MODS LIST DONE!

Maffew
Aug 4, 2008 at 12:10 pm

I like it, but in a Joe Dirt kinda way…….

7urtle
Aug 4, 2008 at 6:08 am

sweet

Cknarf
Aug 3, 2008 at 6:34 am

Trash rides? What’s wrong with praising them? I love them more than anything!

Aug 3, 2008 at 2:10 am

Well don’t trash Grand Prix’s. My GT’s a great freaking car. Always gets me to where I need to go and does it well and it runs its ass off.

kori
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:55 pm

why are we praising trash rides on cardomain now….

Anonymous
Aug 2, 2008 at 2:39 pm

hey, this is rather comical. me and a friend built a hillbilly camaro like that for nothing, because we could. I got a 350 for my own project and left an ss driveline sitting there..so we pulled the v6 from the little camaro, made no mods, and let the front end drop to inches off the ground in wrong suspension kurplunking the v8 engine right in. That car never gripped passed quarter throttle..as if the v6 camaro was a thousands of pounds lighter than its brethren. Tire burning was not fun anymore, it was damn irritating…and it wasn’t even fast. top speed was SCREAMING in the 70s with that tiny rear end.

Highspeedhijinks
Aug 2, 2008 at 12:52 pm

1988montecarloss:: your correct that is a Grand Prix and an SE at that. Eww.
~
As for the Camaro, I think everyone should own a 3rd Gen. Its like a right of passage into the car culture haha.

1988montecarloss
Aug 2, 2008 at 11:33 am

the red car is a pontiac grand prix its not that hard to tell what it is :P those are pontiac hubcaps and a pontiac grand prix headlight so i dont know what else it would be

Anonymous
Aug 2, 2008 at 7:16 am

more like a turd gen. lol

skipbreakfast
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:55 am

Jen, your appreciation for 3rd-gen Camaros is a little scary. This IROC needs a bra in the ubiquitous grey-but-used-to-be-black color.

For those concerned about the red car in the back, it’s definitely a Pontiac, not a Ford.

Contours have a four-lug pattern with the same offset as the Focus.

Anonymous
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:42 am

I wouldn’t even take a shit on that piece of redneck shit.

1988montecarloss
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:24 am

thats a pontiac grand prix in the background

cknarf
Aug 2, 2008 at 6:18 am

Reminds me of my Formula. Only instead of air shocks, it’s jacked up with shackles and probably some crazy rigged shit from the last owner. The car has clearance but the stock rims don’t quite fill the gap, but they stick out like the camaro pictured.

Oh yeah, the car in the back looks like it could be a contour. I always thought escorts had the four lug pattern.

Austin
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:32 am

Ooops, I lied, looks like a Pontiac Bonneville…eh, new cars all look the same..

Austin
Aug 2, 2008 at 4:30 am

Ahhh…I love the 80′s. I can dig it, though the rust is a bit much for me, that stuff bugs the hell out of me. I see a 3g Escort sedan in the background too.

1988montecarloss
Aug 2, 2008 at 3:21 am

id say my car is too…it has a silver drivers door a black trunk and a dent on the passenger side…mine has a built 327 though so its probly a bit quicker

1988montecarloss
Aug 2, 2008 at 3:16 am

thats quite the bubmobile

Aug 2, 2008 at 2:20 am

I give him a thumbs up although I’m into having a more finished ride. Rust drives me nuts.
Back in the day though yeah, centerlines were all the rage and I remember putting Gabriel Hijackers under the ass of my ’74 Formula 400. Later I ended up clamping down and hardening the rear a bit with stiffening bars. Ladder bars were much desired back then too, as well as chrome rear diff covers.
also, Edelbrock ruled the day under the hoods. Part of my income was diverted to that company for a while.
I ended up getting a used set of ’70 Vette rims with stainless inserts and chrome centers, wrapped in 15″ Eagle GT tires.
Time goes by way too fast and things changed completely over time, but cars and mods are a constant. At least I got that no matter how old I get, lol.