January 7, 2009

Stretching Tires 101

By Ryan Porter

IN-N-OUT Editor

Yesterday Speedhunters blogged about a sick looking Golf, which we chatted about at the office all day.  There were arguments for and against the stretched tire look. My vote is for it!  If I could pull it off on my smart I would be rockin’ an uber-stretched wheel, but in the meantime I’m just a wall-flower to the whole stretched movement.

Anyways, after talking about it so much yesterday I decided that I needed to know more about how it’s done. So after a little bit of magic with the google I found out that this stretched tire thing isn’t safe at all. The main idea is to stretch a tire three to six inches beyond the width of wheel it was designed for according to a tire size calculator. Beyond that, I don’t think there is much to it.  Now, check out how it’s done by these apparent noobs in a video after the jump. Do not try this at home!

stretching tires

Comments

da_Benzo23
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:13 pm

check out my mercedes with stretched tires. 20″ wheels.

2040771
Jul 8, 2009 at 8:09 pm

I did this on my mercedes. i didnt make it all crazy like some vids i seen here but i like the look. ride is the same.

animal
Jan 9, 2009 at 4:48 am

it just looks like an over inflated tire

2digits
Jan 8, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Wait… stretching tires is cool my back tire is

2digits
Jan 8, 2009 at 5:28 pm

Thank You for wasting valuable masturbating time

Zach W
Jan 8, 2009 at 5:02 pm

Hi Mr American Muscle. Or should i call you Mr. I think i know everything and if its not my style its dumb ARG. Go start fire in a cave you egotistical self centered wana be who thinks the mustang is at the center of the universe!

matto
Jan 8, 2009 at 4:50 pm

MAN I HAD A SET OF TWENTYS ON MA RANGER ANDI ALWAYS WONDERD WHY THE LIP POKED OUT AND THE GUY TOLD ME HE STRETCHD EM…I THINK ITS DUMB ITS ALREADY EASY ENUFF TO CURB UR RIMS IF THERE NORMAL WHY RISK IT AND HAVE EM POKIN OUT DA TIRES

Charlie
Jan 8, 2009 at 3:43 pm

As much as i think these stretched tires look totally bad@$$, they make me nervous just thinking about driving around on them. I agree with the people that say this is not only unsafe for the driver, but other motorists as well.

tony
Jan 8, 2009 at 3:42 pm

this movement started out like mike said, in Germany, people used wider wheels with thinner tires that way they were not breaking the law and they got away with what they wanted. The japanese copied this on their drift cars because with the thinner contact area on the road its easier to break the tire’s grip resulting in a drift. Also some VIP styled cars use them because since the sidewall is on an angle you can get the car lower without touching the fenders……….but facts aside these guys are just plain dumb.

Dick
Jan 8, 2009 at 1:45 pm

Despite the stupidity involved, you can go to a pro tire shop and get them inflated properly. I worked in the tire industry for years, and we have special tools and procedures for seating the beads. None of which involve fire!! The only problem being, as soon as you hit a hole in the road, the bead breaks loose, and you get to start all over again.

American Muscle
Jan 8, 2009 at 12:02 pm

Ok tiny tires is not cool for all of you ricers. wide tires looks cool not tiny tires that could fit on a go cart. if you have tires like this on your car the 1st thought is wow thats stupid looking and my 2nd thought i cant wait to that blow and them mess up their car (as long as its not near me).

Harrel
Jan 8, 2009 at 9:01 am

Compromising personal safety and the safety of other motorists traveling the road with you is not commendable. Quite uncool. It’s one thing to be smart and innovative. It’s quite another to po-boy a ride and create a dangerous situation. Knowledge allows safe creativity. Not, ‘Hey, hold my beer and watch this!’ This type of stupidity is perpetuated by ‘Jackass’ and MTV.

7urtle
Jan 8, 2009 at 7:54 am

looks cool but i would only do it on a show car. heres a better vid

Mike
Jan 7, 2009 at 11:24 pm

@ joshua miller

Germany had laws that had a max allowable wheel width. People wanted wider wheels and could not do it.

So what they did was use a wider tire on a thinner wheel. The inspection agencies could not do anything about it.

As time goes by the people started getting interested in the style of it. It’s very popular in Japan these days for the VIP cars, and especially all over Europe.

Don
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:23 pm

Why don’t they wait for tire companies to put out a tire that Looks totally stupid, and have them mounted by professionals? Hey these idiots mount tires (I guess) but what about balancing them? Do they use silly putty for that?

Better yet, Why don’t they just give up and turn in thier drivers licences? Oh wait….They dont have those either?

Jeremy
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:13 pm

I hate stretched tires, i worked at a tire shop over the summer and it’s a BITCH to mount tires too narrow for a rim.

platinum
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:39 pm

deedeedee jackass.com posted this originally joking dont sue me nice way to mess up good tools catch a house on fire a car or destroy good rims???????point???

austin
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:52 pm

looks retarted good way to pinch a tire or dent/crack a rim

joshua miller
Jan 7, 2009 at 7:11 pm

the tire manufacturers have standards and measurements for a reason! also whats the point of this?

Roger
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:39 pm

This is a great way to pop a tire back onto a rim in a pinch, such as while off roading… as long as the tire is wide enough to fit the wheel.

Between the two of you there might be a few brain cells floating around inside your skulls.

Mon
Jan 7, 2009 at 5:27 pm

There are better ways to do this…ask those people with better minds…

Rob
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:13 pm

I had a friend who did this on his Civic (go figure, all 4 tires stretched 2 inches) and took a corner too fast thinking he was hot stuff against a Mustang and his rear tires slipped grip from the rim and he slid across the street, hit the ass end against the curb, and bent his rear axle and destroyed his rim. This is retarded, looks stupid, and can get you killed. I frown on people who do this, it’s only a matter of time until they get hurt, hurt someone else, or destroy something.

Steven
Jan 7, 2009 at 4:04 pm

Yet another reason to hate ricers!

Evan
Jan 7, 2009 at 12:05 pm

Next thing you know they’ll just start wrapping their rims with Black Electrical Tape instead of rubber. Amazing you don’t hear of more stories where kids have blown their hands off or something like that doing this…

fortyfordsedan
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:40 am

Crazy. I always wondered how they got the tires to seat up on a rim that’s too wide for the tire with such a stiff sidewall. Seems like your one pothole away from ruining a wheel and tire, but i guess its not my money.

Sweetnemisis
Jan 7, 2009 at 10:36 am

I’ve just always assumed that the jokers who do this couldn’t afford the right size tires.

Chris
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:32 am

Yea, the stretched tire look is idiotic. I really hope people stop this trend because it’s only a matter of time until some asshat’s riding next to me, blows a tire, and takes out my ride.

Russ
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:46 am

That looks pretty dangerous, there is no way that can be good for a tire!

bob balderston
Jan 7, 2009 at 8:06 am

i was always under the guise if you really wanted a rubber band look, just lower the aspect ratio to say30 series and bam; tiny side wall, high strenght and safe ride, but who am i to judge the wanton unsafe rides these guys are after; reminds me when people ask me for unsafe brake parts, i always ask them what they are driving and what it looks like, so i can safely avoid their car when going down the street.

nes!
Jan 7, 2009 at 3:08 am

hahaha dude had no clue what he was doing! this is also a ghetto way to put tires into your rims if you dont want to pay or mind burning the rims and tires if done very wrong!