January 22, 2009

Rim Vinyl

By Ben Schaffer

The Real JDM

I’m always interested in what the new trends are. I just like seeing something new… anything new will entertain me for at least a minute.

This year’s Tokyo Auto Salon brought a few new trends. One trend that I see potentially taking off is the concept of printed vinyl stickers for rim lips. The idea is not really anything new, printed graphics on vinyl stickers have been around for years. But the specific marketing and use of it on wheels is relatively new, especially when it comes to JDM tuned cars and Tokyo Auto Salon display cars.

I know where it’s headed ultimately, and its ugly. Within six months I expect to hate rim vinyl as much as I hate seeing Lambo doors on Ford pickup trucks. Most trendy things get abused and ruined very fast. But…just like I thought the first set of lambo doors was cool when I first saw them on something other than a Lamborghini, I’m going to put my neck out on the line and say that I think vinyl on rims can be cool if done right. Continue reading…

Rim Vinyl

Let me warn however that 99.9% of the time vinyl on rims will be flat out offensive and terribly wrong. Even the display wheels for the sticker company promoting the rim vinyl were so horrible that I wont show any pictures of it here.

This Impreza blister fendered hardcore ride below is one really convincing example that wheel stickers could be done right, if the stars align perfectly.

I looked at this car probably 5-6 separate times while I tried to determine if I loved or hated the wheels. At first I didn’t know what I felt, I was just shocked. Then I really looked at it carefully and realized that I actually was really impressed by it and I liked it. Why? Its so ridiculous and contrasting to see classic floral vinyl on the wheels of a badass widebody Impreza that it somehow works. Contrasts to me are very cool, and the style clash and overall implementation on this car worked really well for me.

Judge for yourself. I know many will hate…but some might like it like I do. Just dont ever try this yourself please…I can already guarantee you that this trend just goes downhill from here.

Rim Vinyl

Rim Vinyl

Comments

O'brien
Feb 11, 2009 at 11:07 pm

Another Pep boys top seller for the beaners and the ricers

MIKE
Jan 26, 2009 at 8:51 am

Pealing Rims !!!! LOL…. I think that this is a good idea for one thing only – SHOW…. Remember spinning rims and floaters? Remember the cheap $20 hub caps that followed? I see a trend happening… AAHHH!!! An Idea… Let me go patent my “SPECIAL” hub cap Vinyl sticker so I can make some money. Yea, like that will work… Keep a look out for your newest hoopty with spinning-vinyl hub-caps that glow in the dark and gives any car 20+ hp.

elcamino-dude
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:28 am

i like it if its done sweet, like ona car with bad ass flames all over and in the inteior and stuff, on the rims could look so sweet too

1_eyed_bob
Jan 25, 2009 at 8:45 pm

I would have to agree. Its an awsome idea with some serious potential but will be overdone and done wrong before spring. Any bets as to when the knock-offs come out and we see multi-colored, unpainted cars with pealing rims?

Jarrod
Jan 25, 2009 at 7:34 pm

Interesting idea. Not my taste, but interesting none the less.

As for me though, I’ll stick to what I know: chrome and aluminum.

q45on22z
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:17 pm

I seen it on a ferrari from japan and thought it was awesome. it had ferrare decals and the rims manf. decal. as soon as i saw it i went around town to find someone to make it for my Q45′s 22s. but everyone said it wont work.

Yanzo
Jan 25, 2009 at 4:15 pm

holy crap, why didn’t anyone think of that before… looks nice

Nate Martin
Jan 25, 2009 at 1:41 pm

I don’t like the flowers but if they made solid colors. Like I always wondered if it would but cool to have my rims have a red lip instead of chrome. And instead of getting them sent out and getting them painted. It would be sweet if I could just buy a sticker. Plus if I didn’t like it just pull it off. :) I could also see this being cool on like a drift car or someones primer road race car with a spiral design on them or something so the wheel would look like a corkscrew when moving. :)

gmc jimmy
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:49 pm

this is gonna be all over the new Chysler minivans. I can see it now… Introducing the 2012 Chrysler Town n’ Country minivan, fully loaded with navigation system, 14 tvs in the back for the kids, a picnic table to keep them entertained for the ride to practice, and super sporty flower rims. You’ll be the most stylin’ mom to pull up to the games!

Joetheplumber
Jan 25, 2009 at 6:56 am

These patterns look like bathroom wallpaper. So Girlz… What’s next, rice maker in the trunk to whip up a quick lunch, maybe scratch & sniff seat covers?

fortyfordsedan
Jan 25, 2009 at 12:39 am

I don’t like this example because I think all the patterns on the vinyl detract from the design of the wheel. I can see some advantages, like protecting the wheel from chips and pitting, but I would rather see it done in a way that accented the style of the wheel, or just in a solid color, which it seems to me in that case it would just make more sense to have the wheels powder coated. On my ride I would rather have people look at the whole car then to cue in on just one feature. Thats just my 2 cents though and it is a creative idea, but not my cup of tea.

matt
Jan 24, 2009 at 8:30 pm

hmmm its a cool idea cuz like “FordRulesAll” said its a great way to protect the rims n the design is easly replacable………BUT WTF! Seriously! this dude has to be gay or somethin cuz that flower action goin on there is just ugly n gay looking. The rest on the car looks great but thos rims totally ruined it! N yes this design should only be on car show cars cuz driven daily it would all start pealing off. Just pick a better design pplz, my god. N LMFAO to what “FogetMyNameX07″ Said.

Kilo
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

I’ll stick with a nice fat chrome thank you! Besides Asanti has a way better concept on their ELT wheels, one of which is on my ride page check it out!

Rob
Jan 24, 2009 at 5:52 pm

This is another one of those things that (if applied to specific circumstances) will fly. But obviously some dumbass will put them on their spinner hubcaps and there goes the style.

Tommy
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:46 pm

Wow the word ‘Gay’ doesnt cut it anymore. This is way to ricey if it catches on. Hence why Iam into European care this is way too tacky.

dickinpuss
Jan 24, 2009 at 4:12 pm

Fuck you allthisis almost asgayasablackpresidenthelpingcrackheadniggsout

907STEEZE
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:38 pm

stickers are just one more thing god doesn’t want on earth like the gays and dinosours. paint is where it is at, any monkey can put a sticker on. a true pice of art would be paint.

Accord
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:54 am

I really like it.

Phillip
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:48 am

I bet it sucks to put them on. It’d be hard as hell getting it to look right.

bry
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:33 am

nicer than most of your guys cars so dont be hating

Jay Pav
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:27 am

Horrible idea. If rims come from their manufacturer w/ a design, great, or having them tastefully painted ans sealed, but stickering up wheels is sacrilege. Don’t get it.

rool
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:06 am

does the brake-dust come off in the washing machine?

ben
Jan 24, 2009 at 10:14 am

LMAO at “forgetmyname”

fixdaserver
Jan 24, 2009 at 9:01 am

give me chrome & horsepower – old skool or new skool. wrapping wheels is just nonsense-fairy crap.

filbar
Jan 24, 2009 at 8:05 am

wait, did “forgetmyname” really just call a subaru an aussie car? it’s japanese buddy, you just made that ignorant redneck seem a heck of a lot smarter than you, congrats!

ForgetMyNameX07
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:38 am

yeah gear head….aussie cars are rice burners….dont you just love the ignorance of rednecks out in the woods who have to get online and flame everything thats not GM….i mean cmon..you know that subie would smoke your moms v6 CUMaro you drive around

colin
Jan 24, 2009 at 7:19 am

its kinda cool, maybe if the vinyl was just a solid color to match the cars paint.

andrey
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:20 am

that is one of the best sti’s ive ever seen love the rim vinyls

Street7
Jan 23, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Put it this way, its def something different. And to every man his own, right?

GearHead
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Another Rice Burner.

Arwid
Jan 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm

piece of crap

shottz
Jan 23, 2009 at 5:04 pm

look if you get solid colors its also good if you have big rims with chipped or scratched lips it can cover it up like if you get a reflective chrome color maybe blue or black the lip of the 22s of one of my cars has some chrome vinyl(the lip had a weld spot) over it that i installed 2 summers ago and i blow dried it like it was tint and it stuck on pretty well through the snow and everything.

Dunkel Mann
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:31 pm

yay, flowers! because cars aren’t girly enough as they are right now!

ok, so its pretty much only the new mini and new beetle that are chick’s cars right now but hell put these vinyls on a new beetle convertible in hot pink covered in daisies and such with the top down and see how far any guy will drive it… if he drives it anywhere he needed to go he has absolutely no questions about his sexuality or doesn’t care about other’s opinions.

if done right, these can be cool. only not with a floral pattern.

vince
Jan 23, 2009 at 4:02 pm

i like the car but not the rims. but i like simple 5 spokes ether chrome or black. anything other then that and i don’t like it was much

Diana
Jan 23, 2009 at 2:43 pm

I think it looks pretty sweet. I’ll try it but without the patterns Just a solid color first…..

DA BRONX
Jan 23, 2009 at 1:32 pm

alot of people down here in SC got there cars and wheels wrapped. it looks good untill the wrap starts to peel bak. trust me.

Scott
Jan 23, 2009 at 12:55 pm

IDK, I really like it.

brivan
Jan 23, 2009 at 1:34 am

Nice write

Divine_Raven
Jan 23, 2009 at 12:47 am

This is not a good idea just like kids throwing wings that don’t match the cars kit this is going to get ugly I’ll agree it looks pretty cool but I agree that this is defiantly going down hill

kori
Jan 22, 2009 at 8:28 pm

aw…i spoke too soon…

sarahsmile90
Jan 22, 2009 at 6:51 pm

No thanks, not feeling it.

kori
Jan 22, 2009 at 5:02 pm

wow…first time ive seen everyone agree and like it. i agree though, it looks great on this car, the theme is well distributed throughout the entire car. if done properly, it can look good. its all about keeping everything clean and simple, so as long as the whole theme is simple..this can look amazing on anyones car

7ur7le
Jan 22, 2009 at 2:34 pm

i like but iwant to see the “BAD” ones

FordRulesAll
Jan 22, 2009 at 2:14 pm

That’s a great idea its like a new generation of the old lowriders when they were really into painting there wheels with detailed designs, but this way it protects the rims and the artwork is replaceable.

cknarf
Jan 22, 2009 at 2:10 pm

I like it. It’s something that belongs on show cars though.

Adam
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57 pm

I like this a lot, but it will get old fast. I wonder if Art Factory Graphics did the wheels since they apparently did the car with the Sha_do line – I love the work that these guys do.

joe
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:24 pm

I like em, Masquerade has always done their cars really well, and I agree about what you see in the future

luis
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I like them they dont look bad but if I was to put on vinyl on my rims I’ll get them the same color as the rims I’ll just use the vinyl to protect my rims

nes!
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:09 pm

They’re actually nice, that is until someone puts the size of their rims on the vinyl. Oh damn it I just gave them ideas!

Steve Neil
Jan 22, 2009 at 10:08 am

I like it. If done with Kanji, and maybe some proper Decals, it wouldn’t look to bad.