February 12, 2010

Ford Bronco: Make it Now!

By Chris Trout

Troutster52

The peaks and valleys in the emotional life of a car-guy are often marked by brilliant or poor decisions made by auto manufacturers. The day the F-body’s (Camaro/Firebird) cancellation was announced was a sad day in the lives of many dedicated GM muscle car fans. However, when the new Camaro was re-introduced as a concept car, the hearts and minds of the faithful followers leapt with rediscovered bliss. Supra kids still weep over the loss of their pearl from the American market. In the same way, my heart sank when I heard that the Ford Ranger would be cancelled, and the Explorer moved to a car frame. Despite some automotive pessimism and distrust for automakers, excellent decisions about great products are still made daily. The conception and fruition of the Nissan GT-R, the 29 mpg 300 hp V6 Camaro, the F150 Raptor, and the BMW 1 Series all show that car producers can still make excellent products to keep the dreams and minds busy of an adoring automotive community.

2004 Ford Bronco Concept

However, it goes without saying that any new vehicle introduced or revitalized is produced for one and only one purpose: to sell it. I have heard many people complain that car companies are only in it for profitability and not for the sake of making great cars. That is inescapably and necessarily true. Car companies can only continue in business if they can maintain long-term profitability. I have all kinds of strong opinions about the luxury car segment but I will probably never buy a new car, let alone a new luxury car, so my opinion is logically ignored. Successful car companies make cars that people want to and are willing to buy. It is for that reason that performance often drops in the name of gas mileage or reliability because that is often where the buyers make decisions. It is also for that reason that the world is filled with PT-Cruisers, 2.7 Chargers, V6 automatic Mustangs, station wagons dressed up as SUVs, and now a four door, family-oriented Porsche.

It is with this understanding but optimistic hope that I bring to the reader production vehicles I feel can and should be made now. I hope to continue to write this line of articles as I arrive at more excellent and feasible ideas.

The first vehicle that I feel should be made NOW is the Ford Bronco. Along with Jeeps of all kinds, Toyota FJs and International Scouts, the Ford Bronco was a pioneer in the automotive market. At the time the Bronco arrived, there was no such thing as an SUV as we know them today. There were cars, station wagons, trucks, and 4x4s. Jeeps, Broncos, FJs, and Scouts were referred to only as the latter at that time because that was their primary purpose. They were truck-framed, off-road purposed machines. Many Broncos were manual transmission vehicles with full-time, straight axle differential four-wheel drives. When Bronco arrived, it was mid-sized, like an Explorer or Trailblazer is now. As with all of its contemporaries, the Bronco carried and continues to carry a reputation as a legitimate off-road performer straight from the factory. Bronco grew to be a full size vehicle and shared many components with the F150 before its discontinuation in 1996 as the Explorer had taken its sales in a more suburban-family focused direction.

First Generation Ford Bronco

Several years ago, my heart and mind raced when I saw a Ford Bronco concept at the Chicago Auto Show. The lines were reminiscent of the first generation Ford Bronco, but like the modern Mustang, had brilliantly sharp edges to remind you of its youth. I have been waiting like a child for ice cream since I heard and saw rumors of its existence. However, no further rumors have surfaced and no sharper detail arrived either so I am left to assume it was shot down somewhere in the product development cycle early on.

That said, I feel that a Ford Bronco would make a lot of sense right now. Ford is responding appropriately to demand and moving many SUVs to a crossover basis as environmental concern and fuel mileage are brought to the front of many American Consumer’s minds. However, Nissan successfully markets Rogue and Murano (crossovers) alongside Xterra and Pathfinder (more strength-minded framed) SUVS. With Escape, Edge, and Explorer all on car platforms, that leaves only Expedition residing on a truck frame. Expeditions are nice but their more cumbersome size and weight makes them more competitive with the large people mover SUVs like Suburban and Durango. This leaves a perfect spot for a lower production mid-size truck frame SUV like a Bronco in Ford’s lineup.

A modern Bronco’s entry in the mid-size off-road focused SUV niche would face challengers. Obviously, the Jeep Wrangler has marched on through time and still resides in that segment. Other competitors include the Toyota FJ, Nissan Xterra, and Hummer H3. It is proven that consumers will respond well to a nostalgic and novelty model name, especially one with significant brand equity. Introducing the familiar moniker Bronco into that segment, and building it purposefully would likely have a positive sales outcome.

At this point in the article, I can hear the panicked impatience from readers. “Who cares why?” you’re screaming, “ Lets talk about what this thing will be like!”

As I mentioned a Bronco entry would be ideal as a mid-size, low production enthusiast vehicle. Since it will not have economies of scale, it will have to employ a lot of component sharing to leverage its way into a reasonable price point. That said, I think the Bronco could utilize the now abandoned truck frame under the Explorer (as the Explorer shifts to the Taurus platform). The Explorer frame would size the Bronco adequately only if front and rear approach angles are considered, and overhangs minimized. Utilizing FX4 Ranger suspension and locking differential axles modified for use with F150 hubs and brakes would make a 17 inch wheel and 33 inch tire possible, along with the ability to utilize the vast array of F150 wheel packages. Mount BFGoodrich All-Terrains or Goodyear Wranglers at the base level trim and sell an off-road traction package including Bilstein Shocks and Mud Terrain tires with heavy-duty skid plates. Obviously, the Bronco would only come in 4×4 but unlike the 70s version, should allow for 2WD daily use to maximize fuel mileage. The engine and transmission portfolio should mirror the outgoing Ranger/Explorer portfolio and include the 4.0 SOHC 205HP V6 and the 4.6 SOHC 300HP V8. Transmissions would include the current Ranger/Explorer automatic as well as the latest stick shift option manual from the Ranger. A beefed up version of the Ranger/Explorer transfer case would be adequate and appropriate as long as there is no suburb-focused AWD option. Like the early 70s Bronco, the modern interpretation should include a removable back half to give the convertible effect without making compromises with a low budget cloth top. Two front end and two rear end frame-mounted tow hooks should be on all trim levels but auxiliary off-road lighting should be optional on the front bumper and the roof. Interior should be insanely basic, bordering on uncomfortable, and offering no leather package. Considering a high-trim Ranger current costs around 24K, a high-trim FJ runs at 25K, the off-road focused Xterra comes in at 29K, a four door Wrangler can be as much as 32K, and an H3 could cost a bankrupting 43K during their last year of production, I think that I could price the Bronco comfortably in the segment. With an insanely basic interior, sans most luxury creature comforts, and an overbuilt but simple drive train, I think a base four door Bronco could land at $25K, and an option loaded, traction-heavy, spotlight armed proliferation could still manage to come in under $30K.

A Bronco now would be feasible to make and sell, especially in low-production numbers. The Bronco would be insanely beneficial for brand equity, especially among the more patriotic consumer and to be frank, I would love to opportunity to see one, let alone drive or own one. If executed correctly, it might even generate some real sales and maybe some profits right along with them. As always, I would not be in the market until it was at least five years used anyway but a guy can dream. Make it for real Ford!

Comments

StacyPierce
Aug 27, 2010 at 4:06 pm

My brother has that one and we used to have loads of fun with some mild off-road terrain conditions. Overall, we love this car as a family. She’s still great despite her age and she did show some wear and tear from Oil Pump leaks to Door Hinges rusting. We fixed them all and bought an after market door hinge from R-eplacement.

Can I share this on facebook? I promise to quote ya, thanks.

Gobbs_stopper
Feb 14, 2010 at 6:53 am

IFS boo

hotrmaster
Feb 14, 2010 at 1:59 am

I’ve been hoping to see this made since the concepts release. I even followed up to so what platform it was built on, to see If I could possibly fab one up… unfortunately, if memory serves, its based of some sort of Brazilian platform. so the only way I will ever be able to see one in my driveway is if ford makes one. I cant say they’d sell enough to make a profit, but I believe it would be very competitive in the market. That concept is too awesome to go to waste!

potatoes4
Feb 13, 2010 at 9:41 pm

That bronco would be bad ass, I always liked the old Broncos, up until about 88 is the last year I liked them. But the First Generation Broncos Rock. And building this truck would spike sales and bring a Legend Back To Life.

SpookyKidDesigns
Feb 13, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Of course this concept looks great. I thought so when I first saw it about 5 years ago. The sad thing is that this truck will never be made and I mean NEVER. Not because of money or lack of public interest. Simply because there is no way that this truck would ever meet to crash/ safety standards. As with most new cars, namely the new generation of ‘muscle’ cars, designs generally are poor when they reach the production stage. What looks good to us looks useless to crash rating commissions. It’s a shame companies don’t have the freedom that they once use to possess to create beautiful machines that people were proud to drive around town.

shostopper17
Feb 13, 2010 at 2:48 pm

Too right i mean i dont even drive a ford but you need a new sellerintodays amrket and this one looks just right

XTZTwinTurbo
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:39 pm

I’d like to see it. It looks pretty cool

retroman
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:31 pm

As much as I’d like vehicles with minimal comfort in the name of performance and utility, I am not the average consumer. We must be realistic in that the options of today will be the standard equipment of tomorrow. Take power windows for example. I can’t remember the last time I saw a vehicle other than my own that didn’t have them. Every new vehicle out there has them. The average consumer likes all the add ons. They look for comfort. That’s why some of your so called “total performance” packages could use alot of improvement to us serious enthusiasts. I’ve long noted that mostly every “trail rated” Jeep Wrangler is sold of the lot with street tires, plastic skid plates, and a suspension that is comfortable but lacks any impressive articulation. And yet, every Jeep commercial shows a Wrangler, Cherokee, or a Liberty crossing a raging river waist deep somewhere in the Amazon. Sure, it sells, but if it weren’t for the aftermarket, I’d doubt that a Wrangler could be capable of that. A base model stock Wrangler only gets as off road as the back 40 on your grandparents ranch and that ain’t saying much since most of that is probably fenced in pasture.

chevy1971
Feb 13, 2010 at 12:23 pm

i want one

Mbeezy3405
Feb 13, 2010 at 11:23 am

V6 mustangs = Gay

JBUBBLE
Feb 13, 2010 at 8:54 am

GAY!!!!

KrashingV8
Feb 12, 2010 at 7:58 pm

As much as I would like to see Ford make this, I don’t ever see them giving the green light to this. Think about it, ford is now focusing on small car (fiesta, new focus) they have their off road vehicle (ranger for now, f-150, and the raptor option) for people who want a city vehicle not a car they have the edge/flex/mkx/escape. they are already green lighted the new explorer (which I hate because it loses the rear-wheel drive) drops to a 4 banger and v-6 engines. So why would they approve another vehicle that would not fit into their future plan? To me, a bronco would be less practical than say the edge or the new explorer. It looks like it would be the same size, but at half the cargo space, only weekend off-roaders would buy it (im not knocking them) so it would sit until it would be used, mean while you would be either A) spending your money paying for a vehicle you would only use on the weekends or B) spend most of your time driving around in the edge/flex with all of your stuff working 9-5 and BARELY getting anytime off-roading because you are busy hauling your kids around in back, wishing you could go into the back woods and get lost.
Most might not agree but I look at it from a business stand point. If it doesn’t fit into a company’s plan, then it goes in the garbage.

troutster52
Feb 12, 2010 at 12:27 pm

TechWeasel, I think its safe to say that you are the exception to the rule. It was not meant to be a pot-shot at the owners of those vehicles, but rather a jab at the larger trend that many new car buyers are more interested in novelty than adrenaline-pumping performance. I have no doubt your Mustang is unbelievable but you can’t deny the truth that many base mustang owners couldn’t even tell you what engine configuration they have, let alone what displacement or valvetrain. I have a lot of respect for those that drive their ponys like they should be driven, supercharged v8 or not. You should note that in my blog, I mentioned both the v6 and the automatic before the v8 or the stick-shift in my imaginary Bronco.

TechWeasel
Feb 12, 2010 at 10:40 am

I stopped reading at the cheap shot at “V6 automatic Mustangs”.

I guess third in class in PSCA Mustang Maddness last year and a runner up at SCSN, against trailered, full-race 10-second V8 cars doesn’t mean my V6 automatic Mustang isn’t still worthy of scorn.

Feb 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

ewww you had ta bring up the whole Camaro but not Firebird resurrection thing. Like pouring salt and rubbing it into an open wound.
The bronc looks seriously good.

Mbeezy3405
Feb 12, 2010 at 6:42 am

im not one vehicle-ality, but i would definately bang that bronco

troutster52
Feb 12, 2010 at 6:24 am

I must have received some bad information then. I was under the impression that the earliest Broncos were full time 4WD. I stand corrected. Sorry about that. Thanks for the support though, stock1970

stock1970
Feb 12, 2010 at 3:35 am

I would buy one tomorrow if it came out, however the original bronco was a 2wd vehicle until you shifted the transfer case and got out and manually locked the hubs. Your artical leads one to think that the original bronco was a 4wheel drive all the time vehicle.
Yes to a truck frame, 33s, lockers, removable doors, dont need power locks, windows and all that extra stuff that is dead wieght and more to go wrong. but keep it simple enough for the driver to work on it out on the trail.. That is the key..