February 15, 2010

Hemmings Find of the Day – Mercury Marauder Concept Convertible

By Dan Strohl

Hemmings

Heyyyy, didn’t we just see this 2002 Mercury Marauder concept car recently? Yes, it was one of the many cars that crossed the block at Mecum Kissimmee last month (the Mecum ad for the car remains up for now as well). We see from the auction results on Mecum’s home page that it bid up to $50,000, but didn’t hit the seller’s reserve. So now we see the seller’s putting it up for sale again, here on Hemmings.com, with an asking price of $75,000. From the seller’s description:

This one-of-one 2002 Mercury Marauder was built by Ford for the Chicago Auto Show. Ford invested over $300,000 in this unique contender, which features a supercharged 4.6 liter V-8 rated at 335 horsepower, 3-speed console-shifted automatic. Beautiful Leather interior with just 107 miles.

See more pics at Hemmings

Hemmings Find of the Day – Mercury Marauder Concept Convertible

Comments

Troy_RUFFCUTT
Feb 18, 2010 at 12:53 pm

As a owner of a four door…i would have loved the two door

ACCORD2HARMONY
Feb 17, 2010 at 10:27 am

last comment was funny as fuck haa

bigbad4runner
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:27 am

also it kinda resembles a fucking pos turd ball shit can le baron lol

bigbad4runner
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:26 am

everyone is saying it looks 90′s but if they truely knew there cars they’d know the marauder wasnt out in the 90′s. its ok i guess but i gotta agree with the one guy that it would look better as a two door hardtop. 75 seems like alot but in 30 or 40 years this thing will be worth a fortune, concept cars always are. if you had money and a few decades to invest i think the return would be outstanding.

pantherman
Feb 17, 2010 at 8:14 am

If it had a title and I had the money to burn, I’d do it. Personally I would take a 2 door hardtop over a convertible any day. Was a great idea, but I agree, the demographic just wasn’t out there for it.

white-pony
Feb 16, 2010 at 4:39 pm

i like it alot….definatley looks like the 90′s want their car back tho

retroman
Feb 16, 2010 at 3:05 pm

Reminds me of the Ford Galaxy 500 which was also a full size two door luxury convertable, but yet very competative in the performance department. With the demise of the Crown Vic, we may never see another full size sedan, let alone a full size convertable. Gone are the days of land yachts with big cube engines.

SlowAlti
Feb 16, 2010 at 1:03 pm

looks too ’95 for ’10

RATRODSTANGER
Feb 16, 2010 at 11:11 am

I drive a police crown vic 12-16 hours a day,and to be honest I would love o drive something like that on my days off,very sexy

90xjpunk
Feb 16, 2010 at 10:57 am

3spd w/OD, its a stock marauder trans. which happens to be a pretty sweet car by itself

stanggt17
Feb 16, 2010 at 6:31 am

Na I can see maybe $50k but not 75. There may be a Ford fanatic out there that thinks its worth $75k but ya know it is what it is. A two door, vert version of a cop car is not high on many peoples list.

OneTrueEClipse
Feb 16, 2010 at 6:22 am

(I just threw up a little)

neeleyracing
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:45 am

3 speed automatic??? Yeah that would have to get changed out. not necessarily to a stick shift, but a transmission with at least one more gear would be nice.

hodzic
Feb 16, 2010 at 5:36 am

no that bad actually

FordRulesAll
Feb 15, 2010 at 10:14 pm

My dream car, it is definitely worth it. I mean really how many vehicles are their like this, definitely unique.

TheMover
Feb 15, 2010 at 9:51 pm

It’s a Miami thing right?

CROWNROYALDRANKA
Feb 15, 2010 at 8:06 pm

Not for 75 grand. It was almost a good try.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:28 pm

Now what I gotta do is google this car and see if there are pics with the top up. Showing a unique convertibe only with the top down is like telling half the story. The way a Convertible’s roof is made, just the same as a hardtop, makes all the difference.

Feb 15, 2010 at 6:25 pm

It’s a nice car, about as well-finished as 300,000 corporate dollars can get but as a production model I don’t think it would have sold. The Panther platform cars, particularly the Marquis and Crown Vic sold mainly to retirees and law enforcement.
Those who are in the market for a convertible are considerably younger usually and are looking for smaller, more efficient and more nimble cars with less a conservative appearance.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t have bought one used if this made it to market. I certainly would not have ruled one of these out. I like it. I just don’t think the demographic was there in enough numbers to make this viable, and FORD made the right decision to keep this as a concept (if they were ever considering otherwise).

XTZTwinTurbo
Feb 15, 2010 at 5:45 pm

Hey! It’s now 2% less drab

thegarbear05
Feb 15, 2010 at 5:42 pm

image this car being made and then they make a police car out of it

Rotpus_Eyeball
Feb 15, 2010 at 4:50 pm

Absolutely beautiful Mercury! The fool should just keep it…

albania_fier
Feb 15, 2010 at 4:19 pm

gorgeous car never been too big on convertibles but id love just a 2 door version of it!! and i dont think id go higher than 50 grand

wsbob