March 25, 2010

How Much Do You Pay For Registration?

By Jen Dunnaway

Editor

I’m talking about your state registration only–renewing your plates or your tabs–not insurance. Washington state tabs for my cars are right around 50 bucks each, so I’m out $200 a year to keep my fleet of four legally on the road. I dunno, seems pretty reasonable–I’ve heard it can be a lot worse. How about you? How much do you pay to renew registration on your rides?

Comments

1lowscort
Mar 28, 2010 at 9:27 pm

$55/year for each of my 3 Escorts. If I buy a car without a title and have to get a new title made for it then it seems to be $10 more. This is in MT. We do it by car value though.

bluespeedwolf
Mar 27, 2010 at 11:00 am

$200 for my 1990 XJ. Thanks a lot Utah.

shaved6
Mar 26, 2010 at 5:43 am

I live in Michigan and I bought a new car in December 2009 and had to pay $23 to have the license plate from my old car transfered to my new one. My old car was a 1994 Mazda MX-6 and it was $72 to renew the plate each year; my new car is a 2008 Dodge Charger and it cost me $130 to get a new plate with custom letters instead of your normal 6 or 7 numbers/letters.

My Brother-in-Law and my sister moved to Minnesota and he had to renew his plates and they go by the value of the car and he has a 2009 Volkswagen Tourag and it cost him about $500 for new plates

ILLY-Sase
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:29 pm

Newly acquired vehicle/first-time issuance – $234
($95 title fee + $99 registration fee + $40 Illinois Route 66 license plates fee)
Currently titled vehicle/first-time issuance – $139
($99 registration fee + $40 Illinois Route 66 license plates fee)
Current plates expire within 90 days – $168
($99 registration fee + $40 Illinois Route 66 license plates fee + $29 replacement fee)
Current plates do not expire within 90 days – $69
($40 Illinois Route 66 license plates fee + $29 replacement fee)
Annual renewal – $126
($99 registration fee + $27 Illinois Route 66 license plates fee)

GeneralLC
Mar 25, 2010 at 7:29 pm

Err. I don’t believe there is such a thing here in Canada BC. As long as you have plates already (Which cost $20 to replace or initially get.) you just need to pay for the insurance.

FordRulesAll
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:57 pm

$98 to renew here in Illinois.

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I think it’s $23 in Pennsylvania, a little more maybe if you do it online instantly.

Alex Vickers
Mar 25, 2010 at 4:21 pm

To be honest, vanity plates in Kentucky are either $20 or $25. A regular plate only costs $12, and that includes the tag.

TheMover
Mar 25, 2010 at 3:59 pm

$38/Oregon

WaytoFurious
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Man you have got it good. try $560, per car!!!!!!!!!!!

Kentmx25
Mar 25, 2010 at 2:01 pm

Here in PA the registration is $36 for a car

FuryPaul
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Here in Maryland, we don’t have annual inspections. Used cars go through state inspection when they change owners and that’s it. Historic cars (20 years old and up) are exempt. Cost of the inspection varies, and I haven’t had to have one done since 1979 so I don’t know what it currently costs.
Emissions is bi-annual for all cars 1978 or newer unless registered as Historic (in which case the car is exempt). The fee for the test is $14, with bumps for missing your test date.
Registration is tied to the vehicle’s weight (over/under 3700 lb for Class A vehicles, which covers passenger cars) and is renewed every other year. My two drivers are on the low end and cost $128 each in odd-numbered years. My two Historic cars cost $51 each in even-numbered years. There’s no significance to odd- or even-numbered years, it just happens that I bought the drivers in odd years and the toys in even ones. You can also pay a one-time fee to register a set of YOM (Year-Of-Manufacture) plates for a Historic car, provided that you keep your Historic plates current and somewhere in the car at all times. I think that was $20 the last time I registered a set.
Registration fees are higher for heavier vehicles, vanity plates and specialty plates. I have a friend who has a ’99 Durango with vanity “Treasure the Chesapeake” plates and I think hers top $200 to renew.

SouthernGuy8503
Mar 25, 2010 at 12:13 pm

JoeCool – well last time i needed an inspection was back in 08 because when they changed that whole inspection thing with registration last year my inspection exppired after registration renewal so the rule said i didn’t even need an inspection last year in 09. and no im not in an emmision county thank God. as for as the tag fee last i remember it was $28, maybe they charge more in Raleigh and/or bigger cities but around here its always been $10 for inspection and $28 for a regular registration renewal unless they went up on the registration renewal fee since sometime last year and went up on state inspection some since 08

JoeCool6972
Mar 25, 2010 at 11:41 am

I live near Raleigh, NC. The fees are $30 for state inspection, plus $33 for BASIC tags, personalized plates can add on up to $60, so potential can be $93 annually. I have no idea what county “southernguy8503″ is in, but emissions counties are more. Then if you forget to renew your inspection the fine is $250, let your insurance lapse by ONLY ONE DAY (I did once when I switched to GEICO because Nationwide sucks) and they fine you $50… so has potential to get expensive!

Mr_Tippy
Mar 25, 2010 at 10:54 am

$74/year in Ontario.

highspeedhijinks
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:28 am

Right now New York State is jacking up all its DMV fees. Last year a renewed registration cost $45 dollars every two years. They just bumped that up to $60. Luckily the Caprice and Grand Prix are on alternating years so I just pay for one a year which isnt so bad.

Analogy
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:12 am

$75/year here in Wisconsin. That’s one of the many many reasons I prefer older cars–collector plates (car 20 yrs or older) never need renewal. Unfortunately, I’ll have to pay $300 or more before I can put those beautiful blue plates on my Eldorado.

SouthernGuy8503
Mar 25, 2010 at 9:06 am

oh and i forgot to mention NC’s is for 1 year, so i think $28 per year plus the $10 inspection that you now have to do with it isn’t bad at all

snowboarding125
Mar 25, 2010 at 8:59 am

It like 75 every 2 years here in Oregon for regular cars/trucks. My commercial diesel rig is 344 a year!

bigred91yota
Mar 25, 2010 at 8:46 am

like $170 for my f350 not counting how ever many yotas i drive lol. missouri

SouthernGuy8503
Mar 25, 2010 at 8:41 am

here in North Carolina its only $28 for one passenger vehicle, now they have it where the state inspection is with the registration renewal so you get the vehicle inspected up to 3 or 6 months (can’t remember which) before your registration renewal. they just did that because a lot of people would forget to get it inspected so now its all together so you know to get it inspected when you get the vehicle registration thing in the mail. so $28 for plate registration renewal and only $10 for inspection so $38 together if you want to count them together. they just started where they have them together last year so the way they had the rules i didn’t even have to get my truck inspected last year because the registration renewal came before inspection expired. also no more windshield inspection sticker, when it gets inspected it goes in the computer so they won’t even let you renew the registration until it gets inspected

Mbeezy3405
Mar 25, 2010 at 8:35 am

$70 for my truck here in Tx.